Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for President’s holidays, police call highlights, more

Monday, February 9th, 2015

Source: Antioch City Manager Steve Duran’s Weekly Report

City Hall and other city offices will be closed on both Thursday, February 12th is a City holiday in observance of President Lincoln’s 206th Birthday and Monday, February 16th for President’s Day.

Antioch Police Department calls for service highlights

On 2/4/2015 at 12:27 PM, police contacted 46-year old David Salazar in the 500 block of W.13th St. during a suspicious vehicle call. Salazar was found to be in possession of suspected methamphetamine and concentrated cannabis. Salazar was booked at the police department and released with a citation.

On 2/3/2015 at 7:47 pm, officers were working a proactive detail when they saw a minivan being driving by 30 year old Travis Johnson. Upon running the plate they learned the vehicle was reported stolen. A short vehicle pursuit ensued which ended when Travis and the passenger, 32 year old Katie Johnson, parked the vehicle on Putnam St. near Polk Court and fled on foot. Katie Johnson was located and taken into custody without incident. Travis Johnson, who also has an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest, was able to flee from the area and was not located.

On 2/3/2015 at 11:22 pm, Officers responded to 16 N. Lake Dr. on a report of possible squatters inside the vacant home. Officers determined the side garage door had been forced open. Officers established a perimeter and searched the house. 22 year old Steven Cardoza and a second subject were located inside. Cardoza was found to be in possession of 4 shaved keys, which are used to steal certain makes of vehicles. Cardoza was arrested and booked at the police department. He was later released on a citation. The second subject was released at the scene.

On 2/2/2015 at 12:49 am, officers responded to a residential alarm at 56 E. Madill Street. Upon arrival, they located 29 year old Jose Escobar in the driveway of the residence. Escobar was not a resident at the house. It was determined there was no burglary at the residence but upon checking Escobar for warrants, he was found to have an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest charging vehicle theft and possession of a controlled substance. Escobar was taken into custody and later booked at the county jail.

Service Call & Arrest Data:

Time Period: 01/29/15 00:00:00 – 02/04/15 23:59:59 Number of Calls for Service:

Number of Case Reports:

Number of Arrests:

For Duran’s complete report, click here. City Manager’s Weekly Report 020615

Share this:
email Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for Presidents holidays, police call highlights, more su Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for Presidents holidays, police call highlights, more digg Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for Presidents holidays, police call highlights, more fb Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for Presidents holidays, police call highlights, more twitter Antioch City Manager report: City offices to close for Presidents holidays, police call highlights, more

Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening

Friday, February 6th, 2015

865 Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening

Immediate Job Opening

Case Manager 

Immediate Opening for a Case Manager who is fluent in Spanish and holds an MWS degree.  This is a field position reporting to the Director of Care Planning.

The Care Management Service assists seniors in Contra Costa County who may need emergency assistance with health or social issues.  The program provides individual counseling and intervention for seniors 60 years of age or older.  The program works closely with Contra Costa County services and additional service providers.  Care Management is the first point of entry for a senior seeking services from MOWSOS.

S Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening

Qualifications:

• MSW degree from a fully accredited program,

• Experience as a case manager working in the field,

• Knowledge of Contra Costa social services and resources,

• Bilingual in Spanish and English, 

• Experience managing a case load,

• Experience reporting statistics and meeting deadlines,

• Collaboration with multiple stakeholders,

• Familiarity with computerized record keeping,

• Background check clearance.

Click here for full job description. 

Send salary requirements and resume to rloya@mowsos.org.

No phone calls please.

Share this:
email Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening su Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening digg Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening fb Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening twitter Meals on Wheels has Case Manager job opening

February’s Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7

Thursday, February 5th, 2015

Cleanup Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7

The City of Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup event scheduled for this Saturday, February 7th,has been canceled due to the impending storm.

The Antioch Police Department is excited to announce the 59th installment of the Neighborhood Cleanup Program. This is a collaborative community effort which involves active participation from The Antioch Police Department Crime Prevention Commission; Neighborhood Watch Program; Volunteers in Police Service; community volunteers and the Public Works Department.

Collectively, “We”, everyone who works and lives in the City Antioch, can make a difference and improve the quality of life. It’s our community and it’s our chance to make a difference.

The City of Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup program is not just for residential neighborhoods. It is a program that will change venues on a monthly basis and it will include business and commercial areas as well. Neighborhoods that are free of trash and refuse are inviting, and a clean community instills a sense of community pride.

The 59th Neighborhood Cleanup event will instead occur on Saturday, March 7th, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in the Canada Valley/Laurel Road neighborhoods. Volunteers should report to Kushner Way off Canada Valley Road for parking.

Volunteers will receive instructions and the equipment necessary to accomplish the goal. The targeted area is within walking distance. Excluding inclement weather, future Neighborhood Cleanup events are scheduled for the first Saturday of every month and the locations will be announced in advance.

Remember, cleaning up your neighborhood can make life better for your family, your neighbors and your community!

Share this:
email Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7 su Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7 digg Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7 fb Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7 twitter Februarys Antioch Neighborhood Cleanup canceled due to storm, rescheduled for March 7

Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundation’s 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

2015 Heart to Heart Ball Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available

Share this:
email Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available su Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available digg Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available fb Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available twitter Tickets to An Elderly Wish Foundations 13th Annual Heart to Heart Ball now available

4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015

SDMCA Crab Feed 02 15 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February

Share this:
email 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February su 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February digg 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February fb 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February twitter 4th Annual Crab Feed fundraiser for Sutter Delta Medical Auxiliary in February

February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015

Pillars of Hope crab feed February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking

Share this:
email February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking su February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking digg February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking fb February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking twitter February crab feed to help organization fight human trafficking

Antioch-based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
Manny Debra check 1024x768 Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa

Debra Brown displays the check presented to her by Manny Soliz, Jr. at a fundraiser last fall.

Effort began following near death experience and vision

By Allen Payton

Four years ago, Debra Brown was given a vision.

On September 17, 2010, a year to the date after I got out of the hospital from a near death experience, I had a vision that I was to start a restoration facility for victims of human trafficking,” she said. “I really didn’t know about human trafficking, and was completely unaware of its existence in our country. I did see the movie ‘Taken’ a year or so before but I thought it was a Hollywood thing and in another part of the world.”

I was in my hot tub. Sentences started downloading in my head and it was a trip,” Brown stated. “’You will facilitate the opening of a safe house for victims of human trafficking in Contra Costa County’ were the first, exact words. The sentences continued. ‘Many people will come to help you’ and then ‘Many people will come to know Me through this’ and ‘You did not meet your husband by accident.” Then the next words were ‘I will provide the funding.’

Then a detailed floor plan of the facility was imprinted in her mind. She got out of the hot tub and went in the house and immediately began drawing the floor plan. Since then, an architect has drawn up the preliminary plans from what Debra drew.

It wasn’t the first time she had a supernatural experience.

I had an out of body experience when I almost died and I was begging Jesus to take me,” Brown said. “I was looking down and saw the nurses and doctors around my bed, but was wondering why no one could hear me. In that instant I was back in my body and they were ambu-bagging me, giving me oxygen.”

I didn’t tell anyone, right away,” she added. “Then I started feeling depressed that Jesus didn’t take me home to Heaven to be with him. Then I thought why would I want to go, I have a good life, a great family, a great job.”

Then she shared her experience with a Christian friend, who told her “He didn’t take you because He has a plan for you, a purpose for your life.”

Up until that time, Debra called herself a “holiday Christian” only attending church two times a year, Christmas and Easter. She started attending church and Bible study.

Now she knows what that plan is and she began working on it right away.

We formed our non-profit, Pillars of Hope, and held our first board meeting within a month of the vision,” she added.

Since then Brown and the organization have been raising funds to build the safe house, which they hope will be the first of many and will locate it in Contra Costa County, as God told her to do.

They also spent the first year getting educated on the subject, including attending what’s known as a Freedom Summit, which is held every other year. The next one will be in May of 2015.

Surprisingly, the need is great in our county. It’s everywhere and in every state in this country. The Bay Area is in the top 10 areas for human trafficking in the country, according to the FBI.

“Unfortunately Antioch is seeing an increase in sex trafficking and parents need to be aware of the dangers out there to our kids” she stated. “Traffickers can make $250,000 to $300,000 per girl per year so nationwide there has been an immense increase in gang involvement. Unlike drugs, victims can be sold over and over.”

They have already helped and guided some victims to resources and look forward to being able to house them and really provide the restorative care that they all so desperately need. The organization regularly holds trainings to get awareness to the public and also to get their volunteers the necessary training to be able to work with the victims once their safe house opens.

About half of the trafficking victims are used for sex and the other are used for labor, including being forced to work in restaurants, nail salons, agriculture and as domestic servants to name a few.

Many of the labor victims are Hispanic and Asian. Shockingly, 72% of the identified sex trafficking victims are American citizens or legal residents, and many of them are teenage girls, but some are boys. The average age of entrance into sex trafficking in our county is 14, nationwide it’s 12.

But, the average age of rescue in Contra Costa is 17 ½ year old, which means the biggest need for restorative care for 17 and up.

They have a private investigator on the Pillars of Hope advisory board, who has helped rescue some girls who were victims. Earlier this year there was a Brentwood girl who went missing and was found in Oakland, being trafficked for sex.

There was another recent case of an Antioch girl who was abducted and later found in Stockton being trafficked for sex out of a hotel.

Former Antioch Mayor Pro Tem and Councilman, Manny Soliz, Jr. is their financial planner and his wife Mary will soon be joining the board.

So far the organization has raised about $60,000 and are now pursuing grants, as they have a budget of $1 million to buy the house and provide the staffing. That’s just for the first phase.

There’s nothing quite like this, that we’re doing, in the country,” Debra said enthusiastically. “Nothing of this magnitude. It’s going to be great.”

The first phase will be for (girls and) young women age 17 ½ and up, with counseling for trauma, specialized programs to help with the whole mental, physical and spiritual healing process, as well as job training and life skills. Future plans include a heavily-armed facility for at-risk girls and a facility for children under age 18.

The need is so great, as there are only a couple of specialized facilities in Northern California with so few beds. Some of the rescued victims are put in Foster care or group homes, but without restoration they end up running away and return to the street and back into “the life,” as it’s called, Brown added.

The next fundraiser for Pillars of Hope will be a crab feed on February 28, 2015 at the Pittsburg Senior Center. Pittsburg’s vice mayor, Sal Evola, and his team of crab masters, will be cooking again this year. To buy tickets or support the effort, call (925) 457-3977 or visit their website at www.pillarsofhope.us.

Share this:
email Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa su Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa digg Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa fb Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa twitter Antioch based organization fights human, sex trafficking in Contra Costa

Former Raiders player keynotes Antioch’s annual Martin Luther King Day program

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015
IMG 0048 1024x768 Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program

Akili Calhoun speaks at Antioch’s annual Martin Luther King Day event on Monday. Highlights of his college and NFL career were on display.

By Allen Payton

Antioch residents joined together to celebrate the life of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the annual program in his honor, on Monday.

Held at Antioch High School’s Beede Auditorium, the event was started by the late Antioch Councilman Reggie Moore and this year featured a first-ever awarding of a scholarship in his honor and memory. Moore was the first African-American elected to the Antioch City Council. This year’s recipient was Claryssa Wilson.

IMG 0060 225x300 Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program

Claryssa Williams smiles after winning the Reginald L. Moore Scholarship.

The program, led by Master and Mistress of Ceremonies Caleb Harper and Claryssa Wilson, Antioch High Principal Louie Rocha welcomed all in attendance, followed by the invocation by Pastor Chris Williams of the new Church at Antioch. Velma Wilson then led in the singing of Lift Every Voice and Sing, also known as the Negro National Anthem followed by the presentation of colors by Antioch Boy Scouts Troop 153 and the singing of the National Anthem by Deer Valley High’s Divine Voices.

Mayor Wade Harper introduced the elected officials in the audience, who then shared their thoughts for the day.

The program continued with some musical and dance entertainment from Pray for the Children Chrous, Stepper Girlz and Antioch High’s Delta Rhythm Boys.

The young men from G.R.I.O.T. – Greatness Rediscovered In Our Time – then took the stage and recited their affirmation in unison.

Mayor Harper then introduced the keynote speaker for the day, former Oakland Raider Akili Calhoun, followed by a brief video about him.

Calhoun, who wore numbers 90 and 95, was a defensive tackle from 1992 to 1996, shared mostly about his life after football.

I wanted to leave a legacy for my son. I was always focused on sports. I said ‘You know what, God, I need to take another route.’”

That route took him toward higher education. Calhoun earned a doctorate in psychology.

He then went on to mentored men in prison. But it made him depressed and he knew he had to get into a college setting.

Calhoun then became a college professor.

He said “I thought, Wow, I’m a professor!”

But his wife told him “You gotta give back.”

IMG 0054 300x225 Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program

Akili Calhoun presented the young men he’s been mentoring, during his talk at Antioch’s Martin Luther King Day event on Monday.

So, together, they started The Lettermen Project which mentors young men and helps them get into college.

Calhoun shared about one interaction with late Al Davis, the former owner of the Raiders.

Al Davis told me “You gotta practice, but you gotta do it when no one is looking.”

That’s what he shares with those he mentors.

Calhoun then invited those who were in the audience to join him on stage. He had each one introduce himself and share where they were attending school.

He referred to the young men as his generals helping build God’s Kingdom.

Calhoun finished with a reference to Dr. King.

I’m trying to do what King would want me to do, reach them all and build a nation of educated people.”

His talk was followed by the announcement and presentation of scholarships to four students who won the MLK Day Essay Contest, as well as the Reginald L. Moore Scholarship presented to Claryssa Wilson.

The program concluded with Velma Wilson singing “We Are the World.”

IMG 0059 1024x768 Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program

MLK Essay Contest winners.

Share this:
email Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program su Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program digg Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program fb Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program twitter Former Raiders player keynotes Antiochs annual Martin Luther King Day program