Ribbon cutting ceremony for Antioch’s new Julpun Park August 5th

Named for Bay Miwok tribe that inhabited area

By Antioch Recreation Department

Join us on Saturday, August 5th, as we welcome Antioch’s newest park into our community. Named after the Bay Miwok indigenous tribes Julpun Park is located at 5500 Sierra Trail Way. The ribbon cutting ceremony will take place at 11:00 am.

Map showing area inhabited by Julpun Tribe of Bay Miwoks. Source: Museum of the San Ramon Valley

According to the Museum of the San Ramon Valley, “Identified in Father Narciso Duran’s topographical map in 1824, the Julpun lived in the northeastern corner of the East Bay, probably including present-day Oakley, Brentwood and some of Antioch.  Thus, their land included the confluence of the San Joaquin River and lower Marsh Creek. Initially many of them moved eastward and northward into the delta rather than submit to the mission system.  A few went to Mission Dolores in 1806 and Mission San Jose from 1806-1808, with 108 more entering Mission San Jose by 1813.  (Author Randall) Milliken (in his book entitled, Time of Little Choice) lists a total of 141 Julpuns baptized by 1819.

John Marsh bought his Rancho Los Meganos from Jose Noriega in 1837, an area which included the Julpun’s territory; he called the Indians there ‘Pulpunes’.  Julpuns may have returned to their homeland to work for Marsh after Mission San Jose was secularized in 1836.”

the attachments to this post:

Julpun Park ribbon cutting 080523

Map showing area inhabited by Julpun Tribe location

No Comments so far.

Leave a Reply