County Coroner’s inquest jury finds Angelo Quinto’s death was accident

By Jimmy Lee, Director of Public Affairs, Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff

Angelo Quinto. Photo: USN

Contra Costa County Sheriff-Coroner David Livingston announced on Friday, August 20,2021 that a coroner’s jury reached a finding in the December 26, 2020 death of 30-year-old Angelo Voithugo Quinto of Antioch. The finding of the jury is that the death was an accident.

The coroner’s jury reached the verdict in the inquest after hearing the testimony of witnesses called by hearing officer Matthew Guichard.

A coroner’s inquest, which Sheriff-Coroner David Livingston convenes in fatal incidents involving peace officers, is a public hearing during which a jury rules on the manner of a person’s death. Jury members can choose from the following four options when making their finding: Accident, Suicide, Natural Causes or At the hands of another person, other than by accident.

According to a KTVU News report, Quinto “succumbed to excited delirium and prescription drugs during the physical altercation with officers, the Contra Costa County Coroner’s Office ruled Friday.”

Quinto’s death occurred three days after Antioch Police were called to his residence by family members, claiming he was attacking them. Angelo’s sister placed the call telling police Angelo was strangling their mom, and the mother was not breathing. The sister told police Angelo took drugs. The sister had a hammer in her hands, which her brother had taken from her at one point, but she was able to get it back.

His mother claimed an officer placed his knee on Quinto’s neck and to have video of it, but that was unsubstantiated. According to both the police and coroner’s reports, the police did apply a usual knee to the back restraint in order to handcuff Quinto. (See related articles here and here)

“At one point, during the handcuffing, for a few seconds an officer did have his knee across Angelo’s shoulder blade…taught at police academies for prone handcuffing,” Antioch Police Chief T Brooks said during a press conference on the incident.

According to a Dec. 24 email between then-Acting Chief Trevor Scnhitzius and Assistant City Manager Rosanna Bayon Moore, “Officers responded to a family disturbance service call where the caller reported the subject was hurting another family member. Upon arrival, officers determined the 30 year old male resident was experiencing a mental episode. The resident was restrained in handcuffs for everyone’s safety due to his non-cooperative behavior and was to be sent for a mental health evaluation pursuant to W/I 5150. An ambulance was summoned to the residence and while awaiting the ambulance’s arrival, the subject lost consciousness.”

The Quinto family attorney claimed the police failed to turn on their body and police car dash cameras, however the department did not have them at the time.

Quinto was a U.S. Navy veteran.

Allen Payton contributed to this report.

the attachments to this post:

Angelo Quinto

No Comments so far.

Leave a Reply