Antioch Woman’s Club 57th Annual Christmas Home Tour

The Annual Christmas House Tour, sponsored by GFWC Woman’s Club of Antioch, is the largest fundraiser each year for the club. It will be held Sunday, December 11, 2011, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. Reception 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.

Our theme this year is, “The Heart of Christmas is Love.” The fundraiser benefits Antioch High school scholarships, local charities and the continued restoration of our 101 year old Historic Woman’s Club building. This year is the 57th annual tour.

The tour includes 6 homes and 3 businesses who have volunteered their decorated homes or businesses to this Christmas Tour. A reception is held at the American Legion Hall located on the corner of 6th and E Streets, where finger foods, cookies and champagne punch are served.

A live auction of 3 fully decorated Christmas Trees, silent auction of table top Christmas Trees decorated by our club members, plus other handmade crafts, services and lovely items like jewelry etc.

This year we have a special drawing for a computer, “Notebook,” separate Opportunity Drawing for festive items and services, several door prizes and music. Our ladies work hard to make this event very special. We enjoy being a, “Community Christmas Tradition.”

Hooke Residence: The Hooke’s are the original owners of this tri-level home. Their
home was built in 1970 by the builder Citation Homes. The Hooke’s remodeled their
home in 2004. The featured rooms are located on the main level, the expanded,
“Great Room” and the “Sun Room.” This home is whimsically decorated and exudes
holiday cheer and the love of Christmas.

Vistalli Residence: The families love for Disney resonates thorough out their home
and yard. The Vistalli home is known around town as the “Disney House” – the happiest
place on earth. The home was built in 1989, by Davidon Homes. The Vistalli’s are the
original homeowners and have decorated their home Disney style and most recently with
a new kitchen. The Holidays are well observed inside and outside by the decorated yard
and 20,000 lights that adorn the house. The yard decorations are all hand made and
painted by Mr.Vistalli. From the topiary bushes, inside décor and decorations, to the
Jurassic Park backyard – there is lots to see and enjoy.

Flock Residence: The Flock’s home was built by Hauffman Homes in 1976,
our countries bicentennial year. They purchased the home in 1987. Their children
grew up in this love filled home. Entertaining and music is a specialty, especially on
those, “Hot August,” summer nights. Mr. Flock is a musician and is in a band. The
family enjoys the holiday festivities, “welcoming visitors,” specifically Santa Clause.
Mrs. Flock has a collection of over 1,000 Jolly Saint Nick’s, a.k.a. Santa.

Gonzalos Residence: Cassie’s Gonzalos, birth name, “Casilda,” translates from Latin
to “place of dwelling.” When you enter Cassie’s place of dwelling, her casita, you will
feel her warmth, her passion for life, and for the love that has dwelled there over the
years; raising her children and now sharing her love with her grandchildren. The
Christmas season warms the heart of Cassie’s Casita. Mi casa es tu casa!

Ouka Residence: A touch of, “Old World Charm.” Ouka, purchased this home in
the mid 1970’s, it was built in the 1960’s and is a typical “tract” home. Ouka, has
made changes to the home that make folks feel, “warm and fuzzy.” As a girl, Ouka,
loved the feeling she got while visiting her grandmother’s. She tried to recreate
that feeling in this home. Her home has the look of a, “French Cottage Inn,” with
touches of pink, roses and other muted tones, “Shabby Chic/Vintage.” Viewing
the exterior of this lovely home does not reflect the interior or do it justice.

Fulton Shipyard Historical Home: Originally owned by the Jarvis Brothers, the
Shipyard was located in the area of Harkinson’s Point in the late 1800’s. The
business was sold to Christian August Lauritzen Sr. in 1918 and then resold to
Frank Leslie Fulton, “Les Fulton” and became the Fulton Shipyards in 1924.
Following his death in 1951, his wife, Angeline Louise “Ange” Fulton, became the only
woman Shipbuilder in the United States. Ange & Les met in Stockton while she
was working for Wheeler Transportation Company. They married in 1927 and Les
built their home at the shipyard. The front porch (where the front door is currently
located was added later.) The breakfast room in the main house was the laundry room
that led outside (now the backyard patio where the movable glass roof is located.)

Les was a well known boat designer. The shipyard built many wooden crafts,
including tugs, barges, river freighters and purseiner boats. Fulton Shipyard built
ships for many large companies, personal use and the Navy. 1941 Fulton Shipyard
was awarded contracts for six minesweepers completed ahead of schedule. More
Naval contracts followed for thirteen Coastal Transports and six Rescue Tugs. Fulton
Shipyard was awarded the Navy “E” for excellence in their production work.

The next home improvement occurred after World War II. Antioch did not have any
hotels, so Les built, “topsides” (located above the garage with two sets of built in
bunk beds.) Ange, later changed the entrance to topsides by having a spiral staircase
installed. The basement was turned into a bar, where Les entertained the, “Top Brass”
of the Navy. The basement/bar doubled as a playroom for Leslie and James. The
home was remodeled in 1954 by Carr Jones, one of the great Storybook builders of the
Bay Area. He worked for Ange until his death in 1965. Jones, graduated from UC
Berkeley in 1911, with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He was known for living
on the job site with his craftsmen and using recycled bricks, timbers, phone poles and
many other recycled supplies. Carr enclosed the patio, added the spiral staircase,
and new entrance to the basement bar. He also built the, “Orchid House,” the stained
glass roof came from the Delta King. He added the second kitchen, indoor built-in
BBQ and basically did all the used brickwork. He also redid the entrance to the
shipyard offices. Ange hired Lola Philhower, a renowned interior designer to redo the
upstairs bathroom in the main house, Carr helped complete this work. After Les’s
death Ange and her sons carried on the business. Ange passed in 1992 at the age of 89.
The shipyard was closed in 1999. The home of Les and Ange is whimsical and quite
unique.

Pieces of a Dream “The Barn”: This business is owned and operated by two sisters,
Mary Lou and Sylvia. “The Barn,” exterior appears like an, “old country barn,” but
inside the “Barn,” awaits a wondrous array of hand painted furniture, gifts and
collectibles. This very quaint and beautifully decorated business is inviting, cozy
and filled with love. While browsing and reminiscing enjoy a cup of hot cider.
Pieces of a Dream, offers FREE personalization on all ornaments purchased from
their trees also an opportunity to put your name, complimentary, in a drawing for a
Christmas Basket (valued at $300).

Antioch Historical Society: Located at the former Riverview Union High School,
This was the first high school built in Contra Costa County. Supported by the
Woman’s Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908,
For $20,000. Charles Appleton Hooper donated the land for the school. The school
opened, November 1911, and closed 1931. This site became registered with the
National Register of Historical Places, October 1998. 1999, this historic building
became the home of the Antioch Historical Society Museum. In 2008, Antioch
Historical Society received the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award. The
museum is decorated each December for the Annual Christmas Victorian Tea.
It is lovely to meander throughout the building and grounds. The museum displays
are very interesting. The Sports Legends Museum is also housed at this location.
Find more information at http://www.art4antioch.org/ahs.asp

Latino’s Hair Salon & Spa: Owned and operated by one of our very own members.
This state of the art salon and spa, is a full service salon and has been serving the Bay
Area for over 12 years. Their focus is providing a place of rejuvenation and
relaxation. Each and every client is given personalized service. Find more
information at http://www.latinoshairsalonandspa.com

Tickets $25 per person, can be purchased at:

Rick’s On Second; 619 West 2nd Street; Antioch,
Teazz Salon; 606 West 2nd Street; Antioch,
Hillcrest Uniform Store; 3403 Deer Valley Rd; Antioch, (Hillcrest Shopping Center)

Ticket Information Contact Susan Welch 925-754-2006.

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

No Comments so far.

Leave a Reply

reductive-noncreativity