You may love your home, but that doesn’t mean that everyone coming through the door will feel the same way. Everyone has their own particular tastes and style. When selling a home the goal is to allow the buyer to see themselves in the homes and help give them a vision of what they can do to make it their Home.
1. Don’t be too personal: Home staging is meant to create a neutral canvas that will appeal to the majority of buyers. Staging is all about de-personalizing the space, and creating more of a look that will appeal to most everyone. This is not the time to bring in your unique style and create a look that appeals to just you.
2. Use neutral colors: If painting, you should choose nice neutral and warm beige tones. You’ll be amazed at the transformation a few coats of fresh paint will make on your home.
3. Take advantage of natural light: People love natural light, so don’t block any light with heavy curtains or furniture. Accentuate any attractive views. Anything dated in a home is a turn-off to a potential buyer and window treatments are one of them. Don’t be afraid to take down the curtains and just use the blind or just leave the valance.
4. Less is more: Scale down your furniture to be in balance with the scale of the room. Remember that the purpose of furniture when selling a home is to define the purpose of the room and to show what will fit where.
5. Take a look outside: People care about the outside space just as much as the inside, so add flowers, add bark or rocks, make sure the lawn is mowed, the yard is tidy and add a few backyard accessories.
6. Stage ALL rooms: People are quick to stage living rooms and kitchens and but don’t forget to spruce up the bedrooms, flex space and closets as well.
7. Don’t forget fixtures: When staging a home, it’s important to ensure all lights are burning with fresh bulbs, and that all fixtures are working.
Remember, staging a home means showcasing the property’s many features, not concealing its flaws. Make sure your house is in good condition and use staging to cast the home in the best light.
Patrick McCarran is a local Realtor/ Broker and can be reached at (925) 899-5536 or www.CallPatrick.com. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Drysdale Properties an independently owned and operated franchisee of BHHS Affiliates, LLC.. Equal Housing Opportunity.