Antioch Police highlights as published in City Manager Steve Duran’s Weekly Report dated May 20, 2016 and provided by Chief of Police Allan Cantando.
Calls for Service and Arrest Data Summary:
Time Period: 05/12/16 00:00:00 – 05/18/16 23:59:59
Number of Calls for Service: 1,829
Number of Case Reports: 319
Number of Arrests: 87
Arrests with DUI charge: 2
The data is based upon unaudited CAD/RMS data at time of report generation.
- ·On 5/19/16 at 6:00 am, officers made a vehicle stop on a Honda with no plates driving slowly in the 500 block of W 14th St. 34 year old Roberto Martinez exited the vehicle and fled into a nearby address. 36 year old Alfred Nobblet was contacted as the driver. He was found to be in possession of a stolen handgun and narcotics. He was taken into custody without incident. Martinez was found to have multiple outstanding warrants for his arrest. A perimeter was set up and during a K-9 search; he was found hiding in a neighbor’s basement. He gave up quickly when challenged by the K-9. Both were booked and transported to county jail for weapons and narcotics charges.
- ·On 5/19/16 at 12:30 am, 35 year old Jacqualine Box was driving west bound on E. Tregallas Rd. when she turned into 7-11, ran off the roadway and collided with a tree. She then backed up and continued to drive west bound; however, her front tire came off the rim preventing her from continuing. A passerby called to report the accident. Upon arrival, officers found Box walking around her vehicle. She stated she had just come from Applebee’s and believed she was in Brentwood. She showed signs of being under the influence and was found to have a preliminary blood alcohol content of .233. She was arrested and eventually booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/18/16 at 11:16 pm, officers conducted a vehicle stop on 47 year old Chandler Colquitt and 36 year old Charmaine King at 2301 Sycamore Dr. after seeing what was believed to be a narcotic transaction that had just occurred when another subject they recognized approached the vehicle’s open driver’s door window. The subject saw the officers and fled into the complex on foot and was not located. During the vehicle stop, Colquitt was found to be in possession of methamphetamine. He was arrested and later cite released.
- ·On 5/18/16 at 10:00 pm, APD units responded to the report of a vehicle that had been travelling south bound on Cavallo Rd. and left the roadway and crashed into the rear yard of 141 East Madill Street. The driver and solo occupant of the truck was ejected and found under the truck. He was pronounced deceased on scene. His identity could not be confirmed and is pending coroner identification. APD traffic units responded to take over the investigation.
- ·On 5/18/16 at 1:09 pm, officers were dispatched to 1900 block of Dennis Dr. for subjects smoking marijuana on the side of a residence. The officers arrived on scene and contacted 18 year old Emiliano Rodriguez in the middle of the street. Rodriguez nervously told an officer that he needed to get something from his car and started walking towards a black Ford parked at the curb. The officer attempted to grab Rodriguez but Rodriguez pulled away from the officer and quickly went to the passenger side of the Ford and reached inside. The officer drew his gun and ordered Rodriguez out of the car. The other officer grabbed Rodriguez and attempted to handcuff him but Rodriguez became combative and attempted to pull away from the officer. Rodriguez was eventually taken into custody. Rodriguez was issued a citation and released for resisting arrest.
- ·On 5/17/17 at 10:28 pm, an officer conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle for vehicle code violations at the 1800 block of A St. When the driver, 21 year old Antoine Cooper, opened the glove box to retrieve some paperwork, the officer noticed a handgun inside. Cooper was taken into custody without incident. The semi-automatic pistol had a fully loaded magazine with one round in the chamber. The officer contacted the owner of the gun, who turned out to be Cooper’s cousin. Cooper and his cousin were at a gun range earlier and forgot the gun was in the glove box. Cooper was arrested and cite released.
- ·On 5/17/16 at 7:30 pm, 27 year old Curtis Brown was contacted during a pedestrian stop at West 9th St. and K St. He was found to have an active warrant for his arrest and taken into custody. He was later booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/17/16 at 12:47 pm, on 5/9/2016, a woman was robbed of her cellular phone by a man armed with a gun. Today, the victim called and stated that she saw the suspect who robbed her at 2301 Sycamore Drive. 28 year old Emmanuel Easter fled on foot when patrol officers arrived and the victim pointed him out identifying him as the man who robbed her. Easter was able to run to W 18th Street by crossing the railroad tracks. A perimeter was set up and an officer with a K-9 conducted yard to yard searches. Easter was apprehended by the K-9 in the rear yard of a home on Crestview Drive. Easter continued to fight after being found by the K-9, but was taken into custody. He was medically cleared at the hospital and later sent to county jail. The victim’s cell phone was recovered.
- ·On 5/17/16 at 8:12 am, someone lit two garbage cans on fire at the City Park. During the investigation it was learned that someone was seen throwing things in the garbage cans around the time of the fires. Contra Costa County Fire Inspectors arrived to assist with the investigation. Due to the amount of cigarette butts in the garbage can area the Fire Inspectors did not believe they had probable cause for the suspect. He was interviewed and released.
- ·On 5/17/16 at 2:15 am, officers responded to Chevron at 3201 Delta Fair Blvd. on a report of a suspicious vehicle. Officers arrived and contacted 36 year old Gregorio Yarborough. A computer check revealed Yarborough had several local and out of state warrants, one of which was a homicide warrant out of Louisiana. Yarborough was taken into custody without incident and booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/16/16 at 11:57 pm, officers responded to the County Square Market at 2711 Hillcrest Ave. on a report of a vehicle collision with a male subject laying in the street unconscious. Officers arrived and learned 32 year old Lila Penn and her passenger had been drinking earlier at a friend’s house. Penn admitted she was driving west on Larkspur St. when she lost control of her vehicle and collided into the soundwall. The passenger was found unresponsive and transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Penn was found to be intoxicated with minor injuries and she too was transported to the hospital. A blood sample was obtained from Penn. Due to the length of time at the hospital, Penn was later released pending further investigation.
- ·On 5/16/16 at 11:22 pm, officers responded to the Antioch Toyota dealership on a report of a male subject breaking windows and ripping off mirrors and windshield wipers from the new vehicles in the parking lot. Officers arrived and located the subject who was later identified as 32 year old Fredrick Dycus. Dycus stated he was disrespected by an employee at the Days Inn and wanted to “retaliate against America” so he decided to vandalize the vehicles. The manager of the dealership responded and advised the damage was in excess of $15,000. Dycus was booked into county jail for felony vandalism.
- ·On 5/16/16 at 4:53 am, an officer contacted two subjects inside a parked vehicle in the parking lot of Country Manor Park at 2800 Asilomar Dr. One of the subjects, 23 year old Ross Unzell, had a no bail felony warrant for his arrest. Unzell was arrested and booked into county jail without incident.
- ·On 5/15/16 at 9:07 pm, an officer conducted an enforcement stop in the area of Texas St. and Batacao Ln. on a vehicle driven by 23 year old Osvaldo Lopez for having a headlight out. While the officer was speaking to Lopez at the driver door, his cover officer could see a revolver on the floorboard at Lopez’s feet. Lopez was detained without incident. The revolver was found to be fully loaded and registered to an elderly female from South Gate. Lopez was booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/15/16 at 7:26 pm, the victim and 26 year old Todd Allen live a few houses from each other on West 7th Street. They got into an argument over Allen trying to show the victim a picture on his cell phone. During the argument Allen struck the victim on the head with a sock that contained an unknown metal item. The victim sustained a serious cut to the back of his head that was bleeding heavily. Allen fled the scene and was not located. The victim and his wife both identified Allen in a photo lineup. A few hours later, Allen’s grandmother called APD to advise that Allen returned home. Officers responded to the residence and Allen was detained trying to flee from the side garage door as officers were knocking on the front door. Allen was booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/15/16 at 4:27 pm, 34 year old Blas Sulvaran was driving his vehicle east bound on W 5th St. when he veered from the roadway and collided with a parked vehicle. Sulvaran placed his vehicle in reverse and then fled the scene. He drove to his residence which was just a short distance away on W 5th St. A witness to the collision called APD and maintained a visual on Sulvaran until we arrived. Sulvaran was detained and found to be heavily intoxicated. He failed a preliminary alcohol screening device and was placed under arrest for DUI. Sulvaran was booked at county jail.
- ·On 5/15/16 at 8:10 am, an officer was on an unrelated call for service in the area of E. Tregallas Rd. and Hillcrest Av. When he saw an older model Honda Accord pass by him. The driver made eye contact and sped away at a high rate of speed. The officer located the Honda abandoned at Deer Valley Rd. and Davison Dr. Witnesses described the driver, 21 year old Richard Wilcox, and officers located him in the bathroom of the nearby McDonalds. Officers contacted the registered owner of the vehicle and discovered the Honda was an unreported stolen vehicle. Wilcox was arrested and booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/15/16 at 4:28 am, Officers were dispatched to the Goodwill store for an alarm. 58 year old Steven Gilbert was contacted in the area and found to have a parole violation warrant for burglary out of Lake County. Gilbert was arrested and transported to county jail.
- ·On 5/15/15 at 2:04 am, 45 year old Joseph Buccellato was under the influence of drugs and running from imaginary enemies who wanted to kill him. He went to Raley’s on Lone Tree Way but the doors were locked. Upset that the employees wouldn’t open the doors for him, he smashed the front door window with a metal trash can lid. Buccellato waited for officers to arrive where he was subsequently arrested for being under the influence of drugs and vandalism. He was treated at the hospital for minor cuts to his arms and then transported to county jail.
- ·On 5/14/16 at 4:26 pm, an officer conducted a traffic stop on a Dodge Durango in the area of A St. and W. 6th St. The vehicle was driven by 44 year old David Bledsoe. The vehicle came back clear and Bledsoe was allowed to be on his way. Later in the shift, another officer was dispatched to a stolen vehicle report at the 3200 block of Ashley Way. He recognized the vehicle as the one Bledsoe was driving earlier. The officer located Bledsoe again; this time driving the vehicle in the area of Service Rd. and Evergreen St. A traffic stop was conducted and Bledsoe was arrested without incident. Parole was contacted and a hold was placed on Bledsoe. He was booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/14/16 at 2:36 pm, officers were dispatched to a collision near the intersection of Dennis Dr. and Kean Av. An officer was nearby and observed a vehicle with major front end damage driving from the area at a high rate of speed. The officer was able to catch up with the vehicle and conduct an enforcement stop. 27 year old Armani Shankles was the sole occupant and found to be heavily intoxicated and extremely uncooperative. Officers responded to the original call location and found a parked car that had been hit by Shankles. The front bumper from Shankles vehicle fell off and was left at the crash scene. Shankles was arrested for DUI and transported to the hospital for medical clearance. He became uncooperative at the hospital and had to be placed in a restraint device. His CDL was suspended from a prior DUI and he was on probation for weapons charges out of Alameda County. Shankles was booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/14/16 at 11:23 am, officers were called the area of 100 Railroad Av. for a welfare check on a male running through the area claiming he is being chased. Officers made contact with 25 year old Nathan Watson who was found to be under the influence of drugs. He was arrested and his probation was violated. He was booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/14/16 at 8:00 am, the victim was driving on 18th Street when 26 year old James Tillman threw a rock at the victim’s vehicle for some unknown reason. The rock caused minor damage. Officers made contact with Tillman at Romi’s Liquors at E. 18th St. and Cavallo Rd. and he fled on foot. He was caught near 18th St. and Woodland Dr. where he struggled with two officers. The officers took Tillman into custody. During a search of his person, officers located a small amount of methamphetamine and paraphernalia. He is also on felony probation. Tillman was later booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/14/16 at 12:15 am, an officer was in the area of Hillcrest Ave and S. Lake Dr, when he attempted to stop a Honda Accord driven by 44 year old Frederick Simarro. Simarro led the officer on a pursuit around Lake Alhambra. The Honda showed to be a reported stolen vehicle out of Pittsburg. Simarro came to a stop in front of 19 N. lake Dr. and fled on foot. The officer made a K-9 announcement and Simarro immediately complied with the officer’s commands fearing he would be bit by the K-9. Simarro was taken into custody without incident. Simarro is on parole and was transported directly to county on several felony charges.
- ·On 5/13/15 at 11:30 pm, Contra Costa Fire declared a mass casualty incident (MCI) when they arrived and were advised employees of Wal-Mart on Lone Tree Way had been exposed to carbon monoxide. Turns out there was only 1 employee exposed and he declined medical. The leak was isolated to a soda machine supply bottle used by McDonalds located inside Wal-Mart that had a bad valve. The leak set off detectors in the front of the store. The bottle was removed and the store was declared safe by PG&E and Contra Costa Fire. Employees were allowed to return to work.
- ·On 5/13/16 at 11:13 pm, a subject driving a Toyota pickup was westbound on William Reed Dr. when they drove over the curb and sidewalk, just missing a pole and striking several vehicles and a fence in the 200 block. The driver fled and was not immediately located. A short time later, the responsible truck was located in front of the ABC Rendezvous. 36 year old Ryan Spencer is the owner of the truck and was in front of the bar. He matched the description of the driver involved in this incident. He was detained and an in-field line-up was done. A witness was unable to identify Spencer as the driver, but did identify his truck. Spencer denied any involvement in the collisions and refused to say if anyone else was driving his truck. Spencer was heavily intoxicated at the time of contact and belligerent. He was taken into custody for public intoxication and booked into county jail.
- ·On 5/13/16 at 4:49 pm, an officer was in the area of 316 W. 20th St on routine patrol. The officer saw 48 year old Ryan Luton, whom he knew from prior contacts. Luton was checked for wants and the officer discovered an arrest warrant, which was issued today for vandalism. Luton was taken into custody without incident and sent to county jail.
- ·On 5/13/16 at 4:41 am, an Uber driver called because he brought 37 year old Robert Pontoon to Antioch at the Chevron station in the 2400 block of A St. and now Pontoon would not wake up or get out of the car. Officers arrived and woke Pontoon up. He exited the vehicle and charged one officer with his fists clinched. Pontoon was taken into custody and found to have 3 large baggies of marijuana. He was later booked into county jail.
- On 5/13/16 at 1:04 am, Brentwood PD became involved in a pursuit of a reckless driver westbound Lone Tree Way near Empire Ave. The driver headed into Antioch and pulled into the Wal-Mart lot. The driver only stopped after losing control of his vehicle and colliding into a pole in front of Wal-Mart. The driver and passenger fled on foot at this point. An Antioch officer was in the area and responded to assist in the foot pursuit. The APD officer tackled the driver and took him into custody without incident. Brentwood PD took over the arrest and APD took no further action. CHP responded at BPD request and handled the collision.
- ·On 5/13/16 at 12:21 am, an officer was doing an area check and witnessed 19 year old Joel Acevedo-Camarena doing “donuts” in his Mustang at the intersection of James Donlon Blvd. and Metcalf St. A vehicle stop was conducted and the driver, Acevedo-Camarena and his passenger 19 year old David Gaspar were both arrested. A second vehicle that was watching fled the area and was not located. Both subjects were cited and released. Acevedo-Camarena’s vehicle was towed and held for 30-days.
- ·On 5/13/16 at 12:21 am, 22 year old Dominique Grogans was contacted during a vehicle stop in the area of Benton St. and Bitter St. and found to have the no bail warrant for his arrest for hit and run. He was taken into custody without incident and booked into county jail.
- On 5/12/16 at 7:17 pm, officers were dispatched 1 Helmuth Lane on a report of a possible fight between 44 year old Frank Mello and another male. Upon arrival, officers contacted Mello and discovered he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Mello was taken into custody without incident and later sent to county jail. The fight was determined to be unfounded.
- On 5/12/16 at 10:30 am, 21 year old Trezell Heckard was contacted on a car stop at Hillcrest Av. and Wildflower Dr. and found to have a felony warrant for his arrest. He was cooperative and arrested. He was later transported to the county jail.